Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Link to the Past, still amazing all these years later!

As I began to write my article on Deadpool: Circle Chase a familiar song began to play back into my head. It was one that I had not heard since...

If you're unfamiliar with this than you may want to leave now

  It would seem as though I have traveled back in time, back to a place before the harsh realities of life and all the drama of high school started to dog me, yes, I traveled back to Hyrule...to A Link to the Past

 I was only 10 or 11 when I got to be involved in this amazing experience. I was at my aunt and uncle's house in the mountains of West Virginia and I see this interesting cart in the stack next to the Super Nintendo, so I pop it into the system push the power switch and I don't remember how it happened, but I was transported into a world of high fantasy, magic, monsters and something I knew I had to find: The Master Sword. Usually I skip intro videos for games, I usually have no patience for these things, but I say there and ate up the back ground story for game, having never played either of the NES Zelda titles at this point. I was enthralled, at this point, I should mention I was just starting to get into Fantasy books and such so this was right up my ally at the time. Then I was awakened by the voice, She said her name was Zelda and she was trapped in a castle. This game was so easy to just pick up and play, no learning curve, no hours and hours of trial and error, I crept into the crypt, got my sword and shield from my uncle, and proceeded to defeat evil minions and rescue the princess. However, that wasn't the end...on no, this game had plans, and places for me to go, evils of greater magnitudes for me to defeat. So it was that I was sent off on a great journey to retrieve three amulets that I would need to pull the Master Sword from the stone block that it rested in, like a tiny, green clad, Arthur Pendragon.

On and on I ventured, picking up nifty little treasures that would assist me further in my adventures, things like the boomarang, a magic mirror, magic wands, and one of my favorite game items of all time, the Hook Shot. Also I would learn the location of several other items, including the Pegasus Boots, which would let me run and dash, the Titan's Glove which gave me the strength to lift up boulders and throw them like they were nothing to me. So I was fast, strong, I had a pretty cool sword, this neat shield, and I wasn't some lame boy scout like Superman(that's right I take shots during game articles too), I was a badass hero, I'd already saved a princess, defeated monsters, murdered a bunch of bushes, I was on a roll. I traveled to three different temples, figured out puzzles, defeated bosses, and retrieved the three amulets I was sent out to find, then I traveled back to the Lost Woods...and there it was...right before my very eyes: The Master Sword, I approached the stone and like HE-MAN calling upon the powers of Greyskull I HAD THE POWER! Now that I had the Master Sword and my Mirror Shield, I was

off to beat the ever loving crap out of that evil pig looking wizard Ganon. Well It took a little more effort than just using my magic mirror, nope I had to watch my darling princess get taken to the dark world and got myself zapped into the dark dimension by that rat fink Agahnim that mofo just left me on top of the pyramid of power, but I was still ok, because I was Link, master sword guy and overall Badass, with a capital B. Then I was told I needed to rescue some maidens who were trapped in these crystals. After many more trials I finally defeated Agahnim who turns out to be Ganon, I chase him into the depths of the Pyramid of Power, and after a long and epic battle the likes the world had never seen, I defeat the evil monster, and make a wish upon the Tri-Force. Then it was as if everything was back to normal...the world of Hyrule had been restored, and the Master Sword once again rested in the depths of the Lost Woods.

 It was a thrilling day and night of game play. It left a mark upon me that never washed away, and I continue to hum the Overworld theme to myself to this day. So thank you Nintendo, and everyone else involved, you managed to keep part of me a kid despite the best attempts of the world to force me to grow up completely and leave these things behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment